This page is dedicated to the memory of:

Staff Sergeant

Christopher Anthony Griffin

656 Squadron Army Air Corps

Christopher Griffin was born on 10th October 1949 in Colchester, Essex. He was the only son of Olive and Reg Griffin, and had a younger sister named Tina. Chris was brought up as an ‘Army brat’; his father served during the war in the Essex Regiment, then the Suffolk Regiment and finally the Royal Anglian Regiment as the family moved around the world. The young Griffin was educated at several Army schools, starting in Wuppertal (Germany), then Cyprus and Berlin, a boarding school in Colchester, followed by Felixstowe, Aden and a grammar school in Great Yarmouth. From the last he joined the Army in 1967, aged 18. Initially, his military service was with the Royal Army Veterinary Corps, looking after guard dogs, then with the Royal Corps of Transport as a driver. From here he volunteered for helicopter pilot training, was accepted and began the course in 1975. In 1976 he qualified and specialised in the Gazelle.

On 25th March 1972, at Holy Trinity church in Caister on Sea, Norfolk, he married Christine Jones. Seven years later they had a son, Paul, who was born on the 14th September 1979.

Chris had two great loves in his life, apart from his family. His first affection lay with Jensen cars. At various times he owned three, and belonged to the Jensen Owners Club, with many friends both in England and America who shared his passion for the marque. Just behind in the affection stakes were his Labrador dogs, of which he also had three. Two of these were named after Jensen cars – ‘Sceptre’ (for the Interceptor) and ‘Seevee’ for the CV8 model. Chris’s skills as a pilot were widely respected, and he acted as advisor to the director of the action film ‘Who Dares Wins’, with its dramatic flying sequences involving Scout helicopters. He did not survive to attend the premiere of this film, because in April 1982 he deployed to the Falkland Islands with 656 Squadron of the Army Air Corps.

On the night of 5th June 1982, he flew forward from 5 Infantry Brigade lines to position some electronic equipment on high ground. During the return journey, his aircraft was shot down by a missile and he was killed instantly along with his observer and 2 passengers. Staff Sergeant Griffin’s body was recovered to Ajax Bay and temporarily interred there, and then laid to final rest in the San Carlos cemetery.

Chris’s widow has remarried and now lives and works in East Anglia. Paul underwent cardiac surgery at Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital on the day that his father died; he is now fit and well and works in the entertainment industry.

Family and friends are encouraged to contribute.

We will add information to this memorial as we receive it.

If you have a photo, an anecdote, or simply to say you remember him, we will be very pleased to hear from you, so please contact the sama office at